In terms of entertainment,my 2011 was made whole and memorable by these musicians who one way or the other variously rocked Africa's entertainment capital,the emerging mega city Lagos. Although in 2011,I only partied a little due to a strict academic schedule,my regular playlists had songs of these Naija peeps blasting all year.
NB: please note that this list is a personal opinion and therefore does not reflect the wishes of the general public. However,if for any reason,there is someone somewhere who might have reservations about my lìst,abeg 'Go write your list' or better still *in Noble Igwe's voice* go hug transformer. . .
Painfully because it has to be 11,I couldnt add some of my other favourite artistes like Eldee da Don,Jahbless,Sound sultan,Flavour,Mo'cheda,SID,9ice etc. . .
11. JHYBO: This guy just came from yonder and blew me away. I first saw him on sound city in the video for his monterous single 'Ejo le fe ro' featuring Cynthia Morgan and that was how our love story began. The song was to later turn into a street anthem especialy because of the catchy and street credible title and bridge. This made me go online in search of Jibola Toriola and you would be amazed at his other singles. The dude's super performance in Lasu alongside Miss Morgan further endeared him to me or is it me to him(abeg whatever) . Some of his other notable tracks include Amplified,Run away,Bee naani etc. He sure rocked my 2011.
10. SAMCLEF: Musically,this Igbo boi might not have made massive hits but his contribution to the success of hit tracks through production cannot be overemphasised. Samklef naani became a signature for hit songs in 2011 and the amazing thing is that a couple of my favourite songs for the year under review had that signature. In terms of personal songs,Sam also didnt disappoint as he had his own fair share of successful recordings with songs like Molowo,noninanaire etc.
9. ASA: My best female artiste of all times,Asa's Beautiful Imperfection had a carry over from last year when i bought the cd to 2011,infact it is still one my favourite collection. Truth is if Asa spits on a mike and its recorded,i ll surely buy because I just cant seem to get enough of this super diva. Be my man,Bimpe,Baby gone etc has refused to leave my playlist even after all these months.
8. TIWA SAVAGE: This pweedy petite lady came and like most other guys simply blew me away. Sincerely,she ought to be exported back abroad because her performance skills is simply out of this world. I think she ought to be sharing the same stage with the likes of Beyonce,Rihanna,Lady Gaga etc. Her energy is out of this world and for her songs. . .simply unique. Tiwa made my year with the monter hit -'kele kele' and the beautifully recorded 'love me love me'.
7. ICE PRINCE: Mr Zamani just kept blowing us away this year with hits after hits and for once I thought he was from Mo'hits. Anyway,the album E.L.I (Everbody Loves Iceprince) is a 2011 favourite which cannot be described except you listen yaself. Bigups Iceprince.
6. TERRY G: Hated by many but cannot be ignored by all,Gabriel Anmayi as usual had his year flled with controversies expecialy as it concern songs theft and not honouring shows but he kept coming up bigger with tunes after tunes which we all couldnt ignore but to dance to. 2011 saw Terry G experimenting with different genres of music which eventualy came out succesful. Couldnt have imagined a Terry G doing Fuji but he did and it was quite wonderful. Not forgeting songs like Jah elo and the party banger Aphako which has remained another street anthem.
5. NAETO C:The only word that can be used to describe this dude is phenomenom,simply because he is. Sometimes last year he threw a challenge to other young artistes when he obtained his MsC but Naetochukwu seems not ready to rest on his oars as he is set for another feat_a PhD. Yes,this dude is possitively ambitious which is good anyway. Now leaving academic achivevent,no music chat would be complete without having a representation of the 10/10 crooner as this year was a very good one for him. His sophomore album Super C Season realeased in Febuary was widely acclaimed a success and follow up singles did really well. His 5&6 track was an instant success and generally Naeto can be scored 10/10 in the year und er review. Bigups dawg. . .
4. OLAMIDE: I have never placed my hands on any Olamide album yet I have a playlist for every song he has ever recorded or featured on. Thats the level of likenes s I have for this dude. Smooth flows,humourous punchlines,incredible lyrics and an unimaginable delivery,Olamide is simply a little lyrical wizard or 'young erikina' as he prefares to be called. 2011 saw Olamide joining other A-list artists at the top making Coded tunes boss Id Cabassa and Manager Toni Payne(9ice's enstraged wife) absolutely proud. Olamide is my man anyday and dats wassap!
3. TUFACE:Year in year out,one cant seem to get enough of this father of many as he never fails to dissapoint cynics and critics that he is simply the best to come out of Africa in recent times. Irrespective of scandals and personal misadventures,2baba remained at the very top where he seems to have been for almost a decade churning out hits after hits.2011 wasnt a bad year for Mr. Innocent as he adequately represented performing at shows and getting featured on hit songs. Tuface most definitely rocks. . .
2. WIZKID: "When you see me drive by,halla at ur boi. . .". The song Halla at ur boy was a track we all fell in love with even though that was short live as some haters came up with some stories of our homeboi wizzy stealing that song. Some pundits even predicted that it was over for his yet to begin career and like a cat with 9 lives,Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun son of Alhaji M.O Balogun bounced back into reckoning proving to all that he is no fluke of an artist. Infact his experimentation with the seemingly local genre Fuji on tracks like Pakurumo and No lele got people(me inclusive) dancing non stop and my homboi smiling all the way to the bank,winning awards and headlining shows i love this dude.
1.DBANJ:"I have a confession,dont take it personal". Even if Dbanj hadnt recorded that massive hit song-Oliver,he would still have been my number one artist of 2011. This guy is simply an enigma,a work of supelative art to behold by all. 2011 saw Dbanj collaborating with the dog father himself,Snoop Dogg and then moving on to get signed and endorsed by Kanye West's GOOD LIFE MUSIC. As if that wasnt enough,Mr. Endowed further went back into the studio and what was the result-a catchy sound that we couldnt help but move to. Dbanj asides Tuface is undeniably the biggest act of 2011. Generally,it was a good year for the Mo'hits family as all their artistes didnt fall short of expectation especially Dr. Sid.
Dats wassap !¡!